Sélection de la langue

Home » Belfry and the Walk of Iton » Belfry and the Walk of Iton » Belfry and the Walk of Iton
Text sizeAugmenter la taille du texteRevenir à la taille du texte par défautRéduire la taille du texte
Home » Belfry and the Walk of Iton » Belfry and the Walk of Iton » Belfry and the Walk of Iton
  • accessible by bus
  • Evreux city center
Address : rue de l'Horloge 27000 EVREUX

Itinerary

The Belfry or Clock Tower was built from 1490 to 1497 on a former wooden tower. This flamboyant gothic styled structure houses the “Louyse” bell, cast at the beginning of the 15th century. Listed as a Historical Monument since 1962, the tower is the only vestige of the medieval fortifications of the city and the last belfry in Normandy! The “Walk of Iton” follows the river, real source of life, and the Gallo-roman rampart. You can discover several wash houses and even an English soldier walled in! (In memory of hundred years’ war).

Outstanding!

The Clock towers mostly built from the Middle Ages to the 17th century used to be symbol of the independence of the town against the powerful lords and church. The Belfry of Evreux is the most southern in France ; indeed
this kind of architecture is rather typical of Northern France or Flanders.

The Gallo-roman rampart

The Gallo-roman rampart or “Castrum” was built as 275 to protect the City from invaders: 1.145 km for an area of 9ha. Today, you can see some vestiges near the library, rue St Louis and along the river… But the most striking view of the ramparts is “the Mirror of Water”, down to the Episcopal City: created from a bend in the Iton by the planner in charge of the reconstruction of Evreux, the “lake” offers one of the best views of the city.

Location
 
Grand Evreux Tourisme
Office de tourisme du Grand Evreux
Facebook Twitter Flickr Google

Tourist Information Center Grand Evreux
Classé catégorie 1
1 ter place du Général de Gaulle Evreux – Normandie – France
Immatricultation R.O.V.S IM027100006

+33 (0)2 32 24 04 43